Vanilla Bean Blueberry Lemon + Cream Cheese Swirl Sticky Buns.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour may sub half white whole wheat
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup stick salted butter 1/2
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean seeds scraps + pods reserved
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 6-8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds optional
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warm water, yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix to dissolve the sugar and then allow the mixture to sit 5-10 minutes or until the mixture is foamy on top.
- After 5 minutes add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, warm milk, baking powder, flour, lemon zest, salt and vanilla extract. Using the dough hook kneed the dough until a smooth ball forms. You may need to add a little water if the dough seems dry or a little flour if the the dough seems too wet. Once a ball has formed continue to kneed the dough for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer off and lightly grease the bowl. Cover and place in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile make the goo. Add the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and the vanilla bean seeds + empty vanilla bean pods. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer 2-3 minutes. During the last minute add the blueberries, breaking them up into the goo just a little. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Lightly grease a muffin pan and divide half of the goo among the bottom of the muffin cups, set aside. When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out into a roughly 18x18 inch square. If using the cream cheese spread it over the dough. I find it helpful to microwave the cream cheese and "melt' it slightly. It makes spreading much easier. Pour half of the goo over the cream cheese (or plain dough if not using cream cheese). Then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the goo. Starting with the end away from you, roll the dough into a line towards you (it will get very messy). Slice the rolls into 12 slices and place them in the prepared muffin cups. Drizzle any remaining goo, that may have leaked out, over the rolls. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Cover and let the rolls rise for about 15-20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool 5 minutes and then run a knife around the edges and pop them out. EAT!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.