August 02, 2018
1 1/4 cups cake flour *measured correctly (Watch How to Make Cake Flour) or Canadian all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup canola oil (vegetable or extra light olive oil also work)
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain kéfir
Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups cake flour (or Canadian flour), 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
- Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute).
- Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture, mixing until incorporated. Add half of the buttermilk and mix until incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as needed. The batter will be thin.
- Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. I use a level ice cream scoop for even measuring. Fill liners to about 1/2 full (do not over-fill).
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350 °F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. My oven takes 14 minutes. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove. Note: if baking mini cupcakes, bake 10 minutes.
- Once the vanilla cupcakes are cooled to room temp, pipe on the frosting. I used this amazing cupcake frosting recipe. When piping on the frosting, I didn’t have the right frosting tip so I just used the coupler and made about circles working from the outside in.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.