For the shortbread crust:
- 6 Tbs. (3 oz./90 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/2 oz./200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups (16 1/2 oz./515 g) pure maple syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbs. (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks, flour, salt and vanilla and beat until just combined, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish and spread evenly across the bottom and up the sides, pressing until compact. Pierce the bottom of the crust all over with a fork and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Line the crust with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights. Let cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the maple syrup to a boil and boil until reduced to 1 cup (11 oz./345 g), 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, reduced maple syrup, salt, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth and blended. Stir in the flour and cream and then the pecans. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake until the center is slightly puffed and firm to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes, covering the edges with aluminum foil if they brown too quickly. Let cool on a wire rack until just slightly warm, about 45 minutes, before serving.