- 4 c. whole cranberries, fresh or unthawed frozen
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- Flour, for the surface
- 1 recipe double-crust pie dough, 2 disks
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg white
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Place 3 cups of the cranberries in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are slightly chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with the remaining 1 cup whole cranberries.
- Add 1⁄2 cup sugar, walnuts, cornstarch, zest, salt, and nutmeg and gently mix.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disk of pie dough into a 12" round. Fit into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie plate. Spoon the cranberry mixture into the prepared crust and dot with the butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining disk of dough and cut out 8 large triangles. Place over the cranberry filling, leaving space between. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with 2 tablespoons water. Brush all over the pie, then sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake the pie on the middle rack until the crust is just golden and the cranberry juices are bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.