Beloved Vanilla Parsnip Soup
1 pound Parsnips
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup White Wine
1 Bay Leaf
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 Vanilla Bean
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Milk
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Prepare the vegetables. Remove the end of each parsnip, then scrub their skins and wash under water. Cut off the dark green leaves of the leeks and cut each lengthwise. Then, thoroughly rinse the white and light green parts to remove all the grit lingering between their layers.
- Get the soup started. Heat butter in a large soup pot over a medium flame. Add the leeks, browning them. Slice open a vanilla bean and scrape out its seeds. Then add all parts of the vanilla bean, parsnips, white wine, bay leaf, and thyme to the pot. Add 4 cups of water to the pot, cover it with a lid and bring it to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to reduce the pot to a simmer. And let it cook for 45 minutes.
- Puree the entire contents of the soup, either in batches with a food processor or with an immersion blender.
- To finish the soup, add cream, milk, and additional water, if needed. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.